The Žeželj Bridge in Novi Sad was torn down.

Kuršumlija was shelled again, bringing the number of civilians killed to 17; the “Metalac” Metal Industry and other plants were damaged, and around 2,000 employees lost their jobs.

Yugoslav Air Force Attacks Tirana Airport

A squadron of 12 “Apache” helicopters was stationed at the Tirana Airport, providing air support to the “Atlantic Brigade”, which was preparing to break through across the Košare and Gorožup passes alongside NATO forces and capture Metohija militarily. The “Atlantic Brigade” consisted of about 6,000 Albanians, mostly foreign volunteers trained by American instructors.

In order to facilitate the defense in Metohija, especially during the Battle of Košare, the Yugoslav Army pilots carried out combat operations in the area on several occasions. The first of those strikes occurred on April 13, when they carried out an airstrike on an “Atlantic Brigade” training camp near kamenica in the north of Albania. In that occasion, they destroyed an “Apache” helicopter, and inflicted severe losses to the aggressors. Another airstrike was carried out later, on May 5, when three “Orao” and two “Galeb” aircraft fired at the “Atlantic Brigade” camps in short intervals.

On April 26, the Yugoslav Air Force carried out what certainly is one of its most spectacular airstrikes, when they attacked the US “Apache” base at the airport near Tirana. The operation was particularly risky because it required almost an hour of flight (54 minutes) between the Ponikve airfield and Tirana, without being caught on the radar or noticed by the NATO air forces or the AWACS. The attack planned for four “Galeb” aircraft to simultaneously take off from the Ponikve and Golubovci airfields near Podgorica and approach the NATO base deep inside the Albanian territory without being detected. The way the operation was carried out is that the first two “Galeb” aircraft from the Golubovci airfield flew in through the mountain gorges at a low altitude, followed 20 minutes later by the remaining two “Galeb” aircraft from the Ponikve airport.

The operation resulted in the destruction of five “Apache” helicopters, while all four “Galeb” aircraft were able to return undamaged to their bases (which usually were not the same airfields they had taken off from). The full effect of the operation was reflected in the fact that the NATO did not use the “Apache” helicopters for the remainder of the aggression against Yugoslavia.